ENT doctors (ear, nose and throat) , Surgeons (oncology) , Otorhinolaryngologists (ENT)
In medical practice
consultations a year
surgeries a year
Ignas Karnas consults adults and children on all ear, nose, and throat diseases. He specializes in head and neck surgery and oncology. Dr Karnas performs excision of facial skin and neck lesions and plastic surgeries, related to both benign and malignant tumours. He consults patients on thyroid nodules and performs thyroid and parathyroid gland surgeries. Within a team of surgeons, he also performs difficult reconstructive surgeries on patients with head and neck cancer that has spread.
At our Centre, Dr Karnas performs adenoid and tonsil removal surgeries, septum and sinus surgeries, tympanostomies (ventilation tube insertion into the ear drum), and uvulopalatoplasty (partial removal of the soft palate and uvula as treatment for sleep apnoea or snoring).
Ignas Karnas continues to gain wide experience while working at the largest two clinics in Lithuania, National Cancer Institute and Vilnius University Hospital Santaros Klinikos.
Dr Karnas is the first surgeon to have extended the application of minimally invasive surgery for laryngeal cancer treatment at Santaros Klinikos by performing CO2 laser-assisted laryngeal oncosurgeries. At the National Cancer Institute, he performs partial laryngectomy with larynx reconstruction that helps patients to retain their voice.
Dr Karnas continues his professional development in Lithuania and abroad. He is a member of professional societies of otorhinolaryngologists.
Diagnoses and treats the following diseases
- Head and neck cancer
- Thyroid and parathyroid gland nodules
- Salivary gland masses
- Chronic pharyngitis (inflammation of the pharynx)
- Vocal cord disorders
- Diseases causing hearing impairment
- Adenoid hypertrophy
- Chronic and acute tonsillitis (angina)
- Chronic and acute otitis (ear inflammation)
- Peripheral vertigo
- Deviated septum and chronic rhinitis
- Chronic and acute sinusitis
- Sulfur plug
Tests, procedures, and surgeries most frequently ordered and performed
- Tonsil removal surgery
- Adenoid removal surgery
- Uvulopalatoplasty (for sleep apnoea and snoring)
- Septum surgery (septoplasty)
- Nasal sinus surgery
- Larynx/vocal fold surgery
- Surgery of the oral cavity masses
- Thyroid surgery
- Salivary gland surgery
- Neck mass surgery
- Surgery of facial cutaneous and subcutaneous lesions
- Plastic surgery of facial defects
- Head and neck tumour surgery and reconstruction
- Nasal and nasopharyngeal examination with an endoscope/flexible fiberscope
- Laryngeal examination with a laryngoscope/flexible fiberscope
- Pure-tone threshold audiometry
- Tuning fork tests (Rinne, Weber)
- Visual ENT examination: X-ray, computed tomography (CT), and MRI
- Microbiological examination (throat, nasal, and nasopharyngeal swab)
- Paranasal sinus puncture
- Blood anti-streptolysin titre (ASO)
2009-2015 – medical doctor, Faculty of Medicine, Vilnius University
2015-2018 – otorhinolaryngologist, residency, Faculty of Medicine, Vilnius University
2020-present – otorhinolaryngologist, Medical Diagnostic and Treatment Centre.
2017-present – oncologist otorhinolaryngologist, ENT, Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology Department, National Cancer Institute.
2015-present – otorhinolaryngologist, Centre of Ear, Nose, and Throat, Vilnius University Hospital Santaros Klinikos.
As part of his continuous professional development, Ignas Karnas regularly participates in courses and traineeships in Lithuania and abroad:
- Internship at Head and Neck Surgery Department, AHS, Edmonton, Canada.
- Head and neck flap raising course, Bern, Switzerland.
- Head and neck oncology internship at Lübeck University Hospital, Lübeck, Germany.
- Laryngeal Cancer Today, symposium, Milan, Italy.
- Advanced procedures in thyroid surgery – cadaver laboratory training, Hungary.
- Annual London MDT Head & Neck Imaging Course, London, the UK.
Dr Karnas (co-)publishes articles in his field and gives presentations annually in conferences in Lithuania and abroad.
- Member of the Baltic Head and Neck Oncology Association
- Member of the Lithuanian Society of Otorhinolaryngology (LOD)
Dr Karnas was awarded a certificate of honour and bonus points in application for his speciality for these achievements:
- 2019 – the best presentation on a clinical case in Salzburg Medical Seminars held by the American Austrian Foundation (AAF), Salzburg, Austria.
- 2017 – 2nd place at a Joint Conference of Otorhinolaryngology Residents of Vilnius University and Lithuania University of Health Sciences, Trakai, Lithuania.
- Topic – ‘Transcutaneous cervical ultrasound application in peritonsillar abscess diagnostics.
- 2012 – 1st place at the plenary session of Students’ Scientific Society, Vilnius, Lithuania.
Topic –‘C-reactive protein is a predictor of complications after elective laparoscopic colorectal surgery.
Collecting vinyl records. Attending jazz events, art galleries.