Chlorine (Cl) is a microelement and electrolyte that is actively involved in the regulation and maintenance of the water and salt balance in the body. Acting together with other electrolytes such as potassium and sodium, it maintains the balance of acids and alkalis in the body.
Prior registration is not required; upon arrival, please go straight to the reception.
Information on how to prepare for the test is available HERE.
Why it is worth
To be examined at our Centre?
- The laboratory is accredited with the ISO 15189 standard, so you can be confident that your tests will be performed to the highest quality.
- You will find out the results of the main tests within 1–2 hours and the rest within 1 day, except in cases where this is impossible due to the technological process (e.g., the time it takes for a culture to grow).
- The results of the tests carried out will be explained by our laboratory specialists. This service is only offered by a few laboratories in the country.
- If required, we can perform further tests using the same sample of blood, for up to 7 days after the sampling.
- No danger of damaging or mixing up the test samples due to transportation.
- Tests can be carried out anonymously.
Good to know
Who should have a chlorine test?
A microelement chlorine test is recommended to those who suffer from copious perspiration, after protracted vomiting and diarrhoea or bleeding, or to people with Adison’s disease or who are taking diuretics (medicines that expel fluids). The chlorine test is also recommended to people who have hepatic or renal diseases, cardiac insufficiency or hypertension.
What are the potential consequences of chlorine deficiency or excess for the health?
The amount of chlorine in the body may increase due to severe dehydration, or decrease due to excess fluids, cardiac or renal insufficiency, or adrenal pathology.
The body obtains a lot of chlorine when swimming in a chlorinated pool, which may cause skin diseases and has a detrimental impact on the gut microbiome.
How to find out your test results?
- Your test results will be ready within 1 working day.
You can pick them up at the reception or, if you wish, we will email them.
- For an explanation of the test results, you should call the laboratory tel. (+370) 247 64 17.
FAQ (frequently asked questions)
Chlorine blood concentration is closely associated with sodium and potassium concentration. It is therefore recommended to have these tests carried out simultaneously.
Products rich in chlorine include edible salt, meat, fish products, eggs, milk, pulses and grains.
The daily amount of chlorine for adults is 2–3 g.
Contact your family doctor or internist or register to visit a physician specialising in this field at our centre. Please find the prices for a consultation HERE.