Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid)
Vitamin B5 is involved in the metabolism of proteins, lipids and carbohydrates, detoxication, wound healing, and synthesis of stress and sex hormones. It reduces the “bad” blood cholesterol and increases the “good” one, thus reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Vitamin B5 is important for hair and skin, and helps fight allergies and infections.
Information on how to prepare for the test is available HERE
Prior registration is not required, upon arrival, please go straight to reception.
Why it is worth
To be examined at our Centre?
- The laboratory is accredited with the ISO 15189 standard, thus you can be confident that your tests will be performed to the highest quality.
- The results of the tests carried out will be explained to you by our laboratory specialists. This service is only offered by a few laboratories in the country.
- If required, we can perform further tests using the same sample of blood, for up to 7 days after the sampling.
- No danger of damaging or mixing up the test samples due to transportation.
- Tests can be carried out anonymously.
Good to know
Who should have a vitamin B5 test carried out?
A vitamin B5 test is recommended for those who abuse alcohol and the elderly, as they often have difficulty in assimilating vitamins.
What are the symptoms of vitamin B5 deficiency?
- weakened immunity;
- thinning hair;
- pigment spots on the skin;
- weakness and twitching of muscles;
- slowed growth;
- reduced tolerance of physical strain.
What are the symptoms of vitamin B excess?
Excess vitamin B5 occurs rarely, because the body can excrete the excess vitamin in the urine.
How to find out your test results?
- Your test results will be ready within 20 working days.
You can pick them up at the reception or, if you wish, we will email them to you.
- For an explanation of your test results, you should call the laboratory tel. (+370) 247 64 17.
FAQ (frequently asked questions)
If you have a B5 deficiency, there is generally a deficiency of other vitamins. Therefore, we also recommend having other vitamin tests carried out.
Human gut bacteria synthesise panthotenic acid, i.e. produce vitamin B5 and can fully provide the organism with vitamin B5.
Foods rich in vitamin B5 include beef liver, kidneys, milk, fish, egg yolk, nuts, beer yeast, whole grain products, and green leafy vegetables. If your diet is not well-balanced or you suffer from disordered vitamin B5 assimilation from food, we recommend having the vitamin B5 stock tested and taking vitamin B5 supplements, after consulting with your physician.
The recommended daily intake of vitamin B5 is 5–10 mg.
Contact your family doctor or internist or register to visit a physician specialising in this field at our Centre. Please find the prices for a consultation HERE.