Breast implant replacement surgery
Manufacturers recommend replacing the next-generation breast implants that are used in our Center after 10 years, but the experience of plastic surgeons suggests that this term can be extended to 15-20 years if women have regular breast checks and have no other medical conditions.
Breast implant replacement surgery is required if:
- older types of implants, which manufacturers usually recommend replacing at least 10 years later, were used during the first operation,
- the breasts become painful, hard, implant capsule contracture developed,
- implants rupture, leakage of contents (typical of an implant containing saline),
- changes in breast shape, size, visible dislocations are observed.
Do not wait, timely implant replacement surgery is easier to handle and is followed by faster recovery.
In our Center, several plastic-aesthetic operations can be performed at the same time for maximum effect, thus avoiding additional anaesthesia.
Cost of breast implant replacement surgery
The cost of breast implant replacement surgery includes consultation by a plastic and reconstructive surgery physician, breast echoscopy and laboratory tests required before surgery, surgery and any additional post-operative measures (such as the bra after breast surgery), catering (from day 2).
What factors affect the price?
The prices indicated below apply to citizens of the Republic of Lithuania and the European Union.
If you are coming from another country please check the price by telephoning or sending an email.
When are the examinations are carried out:
What should you know about the surgery?
You should tell your doctor before surgery if:
- you are allergic to something,
- if you are taking medicines that affect blood clotting or you have blood clotting problems (including thromboses),
- you have diabetes and are taking medication,
- you have been diagnosed with cancer,
- corticosteroids have been administered in the last 6 weeks,
- you have an implanted pacemaker,
- you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant,
- you have immunosuppression,
- you feel unwell on the day of the procedure,
- you have been ill before the procedure (increased temperature, flu, colds),
- you smoke (recommended not smoking for at least 4 weeks before surgery).
- General blood count,
- blood coagulation test (ADTL),
- electrocardiogram (ECG) with evaluation,
- blood glucose test,
- other tests if you have a chronic illness and have medication prescribed by your doctor.
The patient can bring their test records from other healthcare institutions, or they may have them done at the Medical Diagnostic and Treatment Centre. The tests take 2 hrs. Prices of the tests performed at the Centre. The tests must be performed no earlier than 14 days before the surgery.
Breast surgery will be carried out under general anaesthesia. For breast implant replacement, the same incision used to insert the implant is usually used. In some cases, the incision may need to be lengthened to remove the affected capsule. Sometimes a combined operation is performed – breast lift and implant replacement. In this case, additional scars may occur (around the areola, upright, under the breast).
You will discuss this with your doctor during the consultation.
Possible ways to replace the implant:
- under the pectoral muscle, which is located between the breast gland and the thorax,
- below the breast gland above the pectoral muscle,
- partly by relaxing the breast tissue under the pectoral muscle (the so-called dual pole method).
Implant replacement surgery is usually similar to primary breast augmentation surgery. The operation is complicated by the additional need to remove the affected capsule and lift the breast tissue. In these cases, the operation is more complicated and longer, the risk of postoperative bleeding is higher and the patient must spend more time in the clinic after the operation.
After the operation, the breasts are covered with a special bandage and the patient wears a special bra.
After the operation you will spend 1-3 days in our clinic under the supervision of medical staff. After all plastic-aesthetic surgeries, there is often some degree of pain which can be treated with medication. The sutures are usually removed the day after surgery, and in more severe cases, during the first week after surgery.
Your doctor will arrange the date and time of your next visit.
You will be able to resume daily, non-physical activity 5-7 days after surgery. We recommend that you do not do active physical activity before 4-6 weeks after surgery. During the first 4-6 weeks, you will also need to wear a special bra day and night, and then only at night and/or during physical activities.
If you come from another country, you will discuss all the details (when you can fly, what care and postoperative care you need) with your doctor after the surgery.
We do not issue sick leave certificates after aesthetic surgeries, therefore, if you are not going back to work immediately after the surgery, you should plan to schedule your post-operative period as a holiday.
Recommendations for the first 2-3 weeks after surgery:
- do not lift heavy objects,
- walk slowly around the room at least 6 times a day,
- rest more, avoid getting colds,
- sleep on your back,
- In the shower: you can take off the bra while you shower, wash with lukewarm water, ask someone to help you (as you cannot lift your hands high), there is no need to remove the patches, they can get wet,
Lymphatic drainage procedures help you recover faster after surgery –y ou will feel uncomfortable stretching and the swelling will reduce more quickly.
Not recommended for the first 2-3 weeks:
- moving your elbows behind your back, raising your hands suddenly, pushing, pulling, doing sudden movements with your hands (getting out of bed, etc.), you should only raise your arms to shoulder level. Due to the restriction of hand movements, your back and neck may feel numb,
- Combing or washing your hair yourself,
- Pressing or otherwise moving the operated site,
- driving a car (at least 7 days).
After breast surgery, we recommend periodic breast examination - mammologist consultation, echoscopy, mammography examinations at least once every 2 years, even if you have no complaints or feel any symptoms of concern.
You can breastfeed after breast augmentation surgery and you should undergo routine diagnostic tests – sonography, mammography.
The implant should be reported to the physician prior to the examination to allow the practitioner to objectively evaluate the results.
Breast augmentation surgery may change the shape of the implants, so it is recommended that the implants be replaced approximately every 10 years.
- when breast cancer is identified as a health hazard,
- in the case of viral diseases, infections (surgery can be scheduled after full recovery),
- high blood pressure (the risk to the surgery is assessed by your doctor).
To choose us
- Consultation and research - within 1 day.
- We can have surgery the same week or the next week after the initial consultation.
- Hospital infection rate is 0 over 5 years.
- Surgeries are performed by the most experienced doctors in Lithuania.