Calcium (Ca) is one of the most important minerals and the key component of the bones. About 99% of calcium is accumulated in the bones and teeth and the remaining 1% circulates in the blood. This microelement is important for the functioning of the nervous system, muscles and heart and is involved in blood clotting processes. Calcium deficiency increases the probability of falling ill with osteoporosis or rickets, and its excess may cause kidney stones.   

Prior registration is not required; upon arrival, please go straight to the reception.

Information on how to prepare for the test is available HERE.

deco round
Why it is worth

To be examined at our Centre?

  • The laboratory is accredited with the ISO 15189 standard, so you can be confident that your tests will be performed to the highest quality. 
  • You will find out the results of the main tests within 1–2 hours and the rest within 1 day, except in cases where this is impossible due to the technological process (e.g., the time it takes for a culture to grow).
  • The results of the tests carried out will be explained by our laboratory specialists. This service is only offered by a few laboratories in the country.
  • If required, we can perform further tests using the same sample of blood, for up to 7 days after the sampling.
  • No danger of damaging or mixing up the test samples due to transportation. 
  • Tests can be carried out anonymously.

Good to know

Who should have a calcium test?

The test is recommended to those who feel jumpy, experience muscle ticks, memory disorders or repeated bone fractures, who have or have had kidney stones, to vegans, or to people on a dairy-free diet.

What are the symptoms of calcium deficiency?

  • weak and breaking nails
  • disturbed teeth development
  • muscle cramps
  • diminished appetite
  • numbness of extremities
  • nosebleeds

What are the potential consequences of calcium deficiency for the health?

It has been proven that long-term and substantial calcium deficiency may cause the development of the following diseases:

  • rickets
  • osteoporosis

What are the potential consequences of excess calcium for the health?

Excess calcium impedes the assimilation of magnesium and can cause the formation of kidney stones and the accumulation of salts in the joints.

How to find out your test results?

  • Your test results will be ready within 1 working day.
    You can pick them up at the reception or, if you wish, we will email them.
  • For an explanation of the test results, you should call the laboratory tel. (+370) 247 64 17.

FAQ (frequently asked questions)

An ionised calcium test is carried out in conjunction with a calcium test. 

When calcium concentration is either reduced or increased, it is recommended to have vitamin D, magnesium, parathyroid hormone (PTH) and renal function indicator (creatinine, urea, uric acid and cystatin C) tests carried out. 

Dairy products (especially fermented cheese), nuts, sunflower seeds, grains, beef, oranges, carrots, cabbage and mineral water are all rich in calcium.

Daily amount of calcium:

  • for adults – 1,000 mg
  • for pregnant and breastfeeding women – 1,200–1,500 mg
  • men aged over 60 – 1,500 mg
  • women aged over 46 – 1,500 mg
  • children under the age of 1 – 500 mg
  • children aged 2–12 – 800 mg
  • teens aged 13–18 – 1,000 mg

Contact your family doctor or internist or register to visit a physician specialising in this field at our centre. Please find the prices for a consultation HERE.

Image Decoration
Image Decoration
Image Decoration

Please do not postpone important decisions - take care of yourself now!

Book an appointment