for the treatment of age-related macular degeneration
In our Centre age-related macular degeneration (ARMD) is treated using the only approved safe and effective method – an intravitreal injection.
Intravitreal injections of anti-VEGF (Vascular endothelial growth factor inhibitors (AVASTIN, EYLЕA, LUCENTIS), were approved in the European Union for the treatment of wet ARMD in 2000).
These medicines injected into the vitreous body significantly reduce loss of vision. Vision sharpness is stabilised or improved in 95 % of patients. Treatment duration – 2 years, injections are administered every 4-6 weeks, however the treatment is individual and depends on the stage of disease.
In our Centre these injections are administered in an out-patient setting under sterile conditions using local anaesthesia.Usually the physician ophthalmologist provides consultations, carries out examinations and the procedure. The patient can go home immediately after the procedure.
Do not wait, treatment of early diagnosed wet ARMD is more effective.
Price of ARMD treatment
The treatment price includes the consultation, examination and procedure. The procedure price covers the costs of medications. If the patient has already had optical coherent tomography (OCT), and brings the results with him, there is no need for a consultation or examination with an ophthalmologist.
Consultation and examination
Detailed ophthalmological examination
- Detailed ophthalmic examination
- OCT examination
- Treatment course is discussed
Intravitreal injection of the medicine
Centre standard price with a referral
You will stay at the clinic 2 hours.
- Immediately after the procedure an OCT examination is carried out free of charge
- This significantly reduces the risk of blindness
- The procedure is carried out under sterile conditions, in the operating theatre
- The patient can go home immediately after the procedure
What factors affect the price?
The prices indicated below apply to citizens of the Republic of Lithuania and the European Union.
If you are coming from another country please check the price by telephoning or sending an email.
Why it is worth choosing us?
- The procedures are carried out under sterile conditions, in the operating theatre.
- We can carry out the procedure during one visit.
- The diagnostic equipment and operating theatres are regularly maintained and replaced.
- Experienced physicians, who have successfully carried out thousands of procedures.
FAQ (frequently asked questions)
Age-related macular degeneration usually starts without any symptoms, therefore patients usually only seek medical advice in the latter stages of the disease, when vision has decreased significantly.
The following are the main symptoms of ARMD:
- decreased vision in one or both eyes;
- blurred vision, a dark spot or emptiness occurs in the centre of the vision field.
- straight lines appear curved or interrupted.
- coloured vision becomes disturbed.
- increasingly brighter lighting is required, slower adaptation in the darkness has been reported.
- the patient experiences difficulty driving.
- printed text becomes blurred.
This disease affects people aged 50 years old and older, although in rare cases it can develop in younger
people. Currently this disorder is the main reason of irreversible loss of vision in developed countries.
Incidence of ARMD is determined by:
- Colour of iris – a lighter iris is associated with a higher risk of ARMD
- Smoking increases ARMD risk two-fold
- The sun has a negative effect on the retina and promotes AMD progression
- Certain diseases: hypertension, obesity, atherosclerosis.
- Nutrition disorders: deficiency of trace elements, antioxidants and are associated with increased risk of AMD.
Diagnosis of age related macular degeneration (ARMD) should be confirmed by a physician ophthalmologist after eye ground examination by optical coherent tomography (OCT) and fluorescent angiography.
The patient can perform a self-test for ARMD signs using the Amsler grid.
- Keep the grid in well illuminated room, about 30-40 cm from your face.
- Put on your reading glasses if you use them. Close one eye and concentrate on the central point.
- Keep your eye focused on the dot in the centre of the grid: do you see any unusual elements –wavy or broken lines, differently sized or missing boxes.
You will have a consultation with a physician and no special preparation is required.
The procedure is painless because the eye is anaesthesied.
The administration of the injection including preparation – the physician and patient put on sterile clothes –and the local anaesthesia (anaesthetic eye drops in the eye takes about 15 min.). The injection itself takes 1 min.
This procedure is not recommended in a domestic setting because of the risk of infection.
Treatment duration and periodicity depends mainly on the disease stage and individual properties of your body. Your treating physician can answer these questions more specifically.
The experience of physicians of our Centre shows that usually the treatment lasts from 1 to 2 years, when the procedure is carried out every 4-6 weeks.