Gynecomastia (for men)
Gynecomastia -–Male breast enlargement. The disorder is triggered by increased levels of the female hormone oestrogen, obesity, testicular, thyroid, liver or kidney problems, tumours, some medicines or other causes.
Gynecomastia surgery – a solution that helps to get rid of psychological and physical discomfort, breast pain. The removed gland is examined histologically to confirm or reject the diagnosis of cancer.
Gynecomastia surgery is recommended if:
- an enlarged breast gland causes discomfort to men;
- it is necessary to equalize the breasts (due to extension of one).
The success of gynecomastia surgery greatly depends on cooperation between the patient and the surgeon. It is important that the patient expresses their expectations openly before and after surgery.
The operation can be performed on men from the age of 18 years.
In our Center, several plastic-aesthetic operations (for example, liposuction) can be performed at the same time for maximum effect, thus avoiding additional anaesthesia.
Cost of gynecomastia surgery
The cost of a breast augmentation surgery includes consultation by a plastic and reconstructive surgery physician, breast echoscopy and laboratory tests required before surgery, surgery and any additional postoperative measures (such as a special corset), catering (from day 2).
What factors affect the price?
The prices indicated below apply to citizens of the Republic of Lithuania and the European Union.
If you are coming from another country please check the price by telephoning or sending an email.
When are the examinations are carried out:
What should you know about the surgery?
You should tell your doctor before surgery if:
- you are allergic to something,
- if you are taking medicines that affect blood clotting or you have blood clotting problems (including thromboses),
- you have diabetes and are taking medication,
- you have been diagnosed with cancer,
- corticosteroids have been administered in the last 6 weeks,
- you have an implanted pacemaker,
- you have immunosuppression,
- you feel unwell on the day of the procedure,
- you feel ill before the procedure (increased temperature, flu, colds).
- General blood count,
- blood coagulation test (ADTL),
- electrocardiogram (ECG) with evaluation,
- blood glucose test,
- other tests if you have a chronic illness and have been prescribed by your doctor.
The patient can bring their test records from other healthcare institutions, or they may have them done at the Medical Diagnostic and Treatment Centre. The tests take 2 hrs. Prices of the tests performed at the Centre. The tests must be performed no earlier than 14 days before the surgery.
The surgery will be carried out under general anaesthesia. Incisions are made around the areola. Excess tissue is removed from the sides of the breasts and around the areola. The cuts are stitched with soluble thread. If your chest is swollen due to adipose tissue, you will also have a liposuction operation. After the operation, a surgical vest is fastened around the patient’s chest.
The extent of the operation depends on the patient's expectations and the choices made, which are discussed individually between the doctor and the patient prior to the operation.
A special corset is fastened around the chest after the operation. It should be understood that there is always a scar at the incision site. Gradually, following the doctor's recommendations (avoiding the sun), the scars become smaller and less visible.
After the operation you will spend 1-3 days in our clinic under the supervision of medical staff. After all plastic-aesthetic surgeries, there is often some degree of pain which can be treated with medication.
Your doctor will arrange the date and time of your next visit.
You will be able to resume daily, non-physical activity 5-7 days after surgery. We recommend that you do not do active physical activity before 4-6 weeks. You will also need to wear a special corset day and night for 4-6 weeks and then only at night and/or during physical activities.
If you come from another country, you will discuss all the details (when you can fly, what care and postoperative care you need) with your doctor after the surgery.
We do not issue sick leave certificates after aesthetic surgeries, therefore, if you are not going back to work immediately after the surgery, you should plan to schedule your post-operative period as a holiday.
Recommendations for the first 2-3 weeks after surgery:
- do not lift heavy objects,
- walk slowly around the room at least 6 times a day,
- do not smoke for at least 1 month after surgery,
- limit alcohol consumption,
- rest more, avoid getting colds,
- sleep only on your back (you can put pillows on both sides and under the knees – this will help you not to roll over while sleeping and ensure a more comfortable posture),
- In the shower: you can take off the corset while you shower, wash with lukewarm water, ask someone to help you (as you cannot lift your hands high), there is no need to remove the patches, they can get wet.
Lymphatic drainage procedures help you recover faster after surgery -–you will feel uncomfortable stretching and the swelling will reduce more quickly.
Not recommended for the first 2-3 weeks:
- moving your elbows behind your back, raising your hands suddenly, pushing, pulling, doing sudden movements with your hands (getting out of bed, etc.), you should only raise your arms to shoulder level. Due to the restriction of hand movements, your back and neck may feel numb,
- Combing or washing your hair yourself,
- Pressing or otherwise moving the operated site,
- driving a car (at least 7 days).
- when breast cancer is identified as a health hazard,
- in the case of viral diseases, infections (surgery can be scheduled after full recovery),
- high blood pressure (the risk to the surgery is assessed by your doctor).
To choose us
- Consultation and research – within 1 day.
- We can have surgery the same week or the next week after the initial consultation.
- Hospital infection rate is 0 over 5 years.
- Surgeries are performed by the most experienced doctors in Lithuania.